Careers & Volunteers
Director of Visual Arts
Posted: August 29, 2021
The Director of Visual Arts is responsible for planning and executing gallery exhibitions and events, and they will collaborate with the Director of Education and Education Department to propose visual arts classes and oversee visual arts education classrooms and staff.
The Director of Visual Arts position is part-time, twenty-five (25) to thirty (30) hours per week, plus the opportunity to teach a visual arts classes, but not to exceed forty (40) hours per week maximum.
- Plan, in collaboration with the Executive Director, five to six gallery shows per season, including drafting and publishing calls for art, selecting pieces or selecting jurors or guest curators, and installing artworks
- Integrate principals of diversity, equity, inclusion, and cultural competency into programmatic operations, with an emphasis on including diverse themes and BIPOC artists
- Draft and prepare, in collaboration with graphic arts staff, promotional graphics for exhibitions, labels and other signage, and other printed materials
- Plan and oversee exhibition opening receptions and other gallery events
- Promote, in collaboration with communications staff, all gallery exhibitions and events.
- Support development staff, as needed, in funding gallery exhibitions and events
- Serve as primary contact with artists, purchasers, and others regarding gallery exhibitions and events
- Manage gallery inventory, budgets, and expenses
- Advise as requested on permanent art installations and displays
- Work with the Director of Education and other education staff to propose visual arts classes and workshops, hire visual arts teachers, maintain materials and supplies, and maintain visual arts classrooms
- Teach youth or adult classes or workshops, as interested and available
- Experience working in a gallery, museum, or other visual arts setting; non-profit or arts administration experience a plus
- Knowledge of the process of planning, preparing, installing, and lighting art exhibitions
- Knowledge of the proper handling, care, and maintenance of works of art
- Creative experience in one or more visual arts disciplines; working knowledge of multiple disciplines a plus
- Experience teaching one or more visual arts disciplines to youth and/or adults
- Strong organizational, written and oral communication, and collaborative skills
- High degree of attention to deadlines and detail, both artistically and administratively
- High level of resourcefulness, initiative, and problem-solving skills
- College degree in visual arts or relevant and equivalent training/experience preferred
- Demonstrated experience with addressing diversity, equity, inclusion, and cultural competency in the arts preferred
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office products and social media helpful, as well as the ability to quickly adapt to other programs and platforms
Salary and Benefits
- Salary range $37,000 to $40,000 (based on 30-hour week) commensurate with experience, plus teaching salary
- Health insurance
- Three (3) weeks paid vacation (based on 30-hour week) and one (1) week paid sick time
Applications and Inquiries
Please submit a letter or email of interest with your resume to Executive Darren Farrington at email@example.com.
NOTE: We are no longer accepting applicants for Summer 2021. The internship program is an opportunity for students in grades 6-12 to grow as artists, educators, and leaders. Students will gain real-world experience in the arts and mentorship to best facilitate their growth. Interested students should complete an Internship Application Form. If you would like to send a resume (optional) or you have any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE: We are no longer accepting applicants for Summer 2021. The teaching assistant program provides mentorship in developing professional skills relating to various aspects of arts education and administration specific to each person’s interests. This is a pre-professional or early-career opportunity. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until positions are filled. Please note that experience working with children is required for this position. Interested applicants should fill out the Teaching Assistant Application, send a completed resumé and cover letter to email@example.com.
Our volunteer program connects community members to volunteer opportunities within the organization. Our volunteers contribute significantly to many areas of the MCA including event staffing, teaching assistance, welcoming committee, and ushering. It is a great way to give back to your community! To become a volunteer, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.